The turning of the year—a special time. A time of reflection, surely, but also a time of celebration. Will you be doing anything special as 2016 gives way to 2017? Would you like some ideas on how to spend New Year’s Eve in Truckee? Our area always has lots to do: here are a few ideas to get you started.
- The Light Parade at Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Area takes place on New Year’s Eve with sign ups starting at 4:30. This free family event takes place in the dark; chair loading starts at 6:15 p.m. There will be DJ present, plus goodies in the bar are prior to the actual parade. Please note: only “intermediate skiers and riders ages 10 or older who can ski or ride unassisted in the dark” will be allowed to take part in the parade.
- The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe is offering a la carte dining at Manzanito and The Living Room. Manzanito Restaurant Reservations are recommended, call (530) 562-3051 to make yours. Then head to the Village to ring in the New Year. There will be music, ice skating, and fireworks.
- Northstar at Tahoe features its Fire & Ice Celebration on New Year’s Eve. This experience includes ice skating, live music, and roasting s’mores fireside. Fireworks will light up the sky at 9pm.
- Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows have a number of events on New Year’s Day and Eve. You can click the link to view all of their events, but here’s a quick look at December 31. Watch the Torchlight Parade at 6:30pm. The popular Dinner at High Camp is back, reserve ASAP to attend, it sells out fast. At 9 p.m. you can take in fireworks at The Village. And from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. it’s the Squaw Valley Prom, a New Year’s Eve Party at Olympic House. Please note: you must be 21 years or older for the party at Olympic House.
- Magical Memories are what you’ll encounter at Squaw Creek. Events get underway for everyone with their New Year’s Eve Grand Celebration Party & Dinner. The Grand Sierra Ballroom is the place, and 7 p.m. is the time. A gourmet buffet dinner awaits, as does entertainment, a live band, and more. After December 1st tickets are $120. Phone530.581.6610 to make your reservations. Note that you must be 21 years or older for this event. Not to be left out of the revelry, there’s a Teen’s Night Out New Year’s Eve Bash happening as well. The timing is from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., the place is Mountain Pizzeria, and the cost is $35. This event is for teens 13 or older. And parents, don’t worry: there’s also the Kid’s Night Out New Year’s Eve Bash! This one’s at the Alpine Ballroom, from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. Kids get a special dinner, games, crafts, goodies, and much more. The cost of the event after December 1st is $95. Six Peaks Grille may have a special New Year’s menu. Check with them to be sure by phoning (530) 581-6610.
- The Crystal Bay Club Casino features North Mississippi Allstars with John Medeski & Marc Broussard + After Party with Jelly Bread & Monophonics . Enjoy music at the Casino’s Crown room from 9 p.m. Tickets are approximately $58 (with online fees).
There are many more events than we’ve listed here, but we hope we’ve given you some ideas. Enjoy your special New Year’s Eve with friends and family, in safety and in joy.
This list was accurate at the time of publication; please check directly with the venue(s) to ensure dates, times, and locations remain the same.